Saturday, May 9, 2009

Oatman, AZ

I went to Oatman, AZ this morning with my Daughters of the Nile group. It is just outside of Laughin, NV / Bullhead City, AZ. It was a nice ride there and back. It is a very good day trip. They have about 20 shops with Route 66, Oatman, AZ and old miners themes.

We ate at the local restaurant which has $1 bills stapled to the wall every where. It is more than the wall paper. I had my first buffalo burger. It was so good and so lean. I wouldn't mind eating it again.

We saw an old fashion gun fight with the Outlaws of Oatman, AZ. I took several pictures with my friend's (the Queen) camera so I will get copies later.

Just before we left one of the shop owners told us if we show a carrot to one of the local wild mules (yes they walk every where and get into everything, they don't care) then put the carrot behind our back she will give us a kiss. Which I did, the mules name was Dotty and she gave me a kiss. My friend got a great picture of it. I can't wait for a copy.

The local mules were nice. One tried to eat the cell phone in my friends purse. You are not allowed to feed the baby mules (mainly because they will choke on the carrots) so they have stickers on there heads. Some of the mules hung out at a center store front, later discovered because they had a huge fan blowing nice cool air out the door. You could see there were 2 or 3 mules that were about to have a baby.

Oatman has a tattoo shop but it was closed for the summer. I thought that was super funny (specially since it is the beginning of May).

The gun show is twice a day, Noon and 2:15 PM. The Outlaws who do the show do it to raise money for the Shriners Children's Hospitals. Our Nile group went with some Shriners from Las Vegas. They received a check for the hospital the Las Vegas temple is over (I think its the Salt Lake City one but not sure). After the show they pass there hats around for donations as well as sell Outlaw bandannas and hats. At the Noon show they introduced the whole group. We got a picture of all of us with the Outlaws. I can't wait for a copy of that picture too.

All in all it was a nice day and a very nice trip. I would do it again and I would encourage others to go as well.

No comments: